Want hot soup to warm your tummy for the cold rainy days? Try the Filipino version of chicken soup popularly called "tinolang manok".
"Tinolang manok" or "chicken tinola" also called "chicken ginger stew" is a Filipino comfort food and is one of the easiest Pinoy recipes to cook. There are many versions in cooking this dish. One of the recipes is found below.
• 5 teaspoons ginger, julienned
• 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons, chopped finely
• 1 cup green papaya or chayote (sayote), cut into wedges
• 2 tablespoons cooking oil
• 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
• 1 1/2 kilos chicken breast, bone-in
• 10 cups water or chicken broth
• 2 teaspoons salt
• dahon ng sili
1. In a preheated pan, sauté ginger, garlic, and onion in cooking oil. Add chicken, fish sauce, water or chicken broth. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked.
2. Remove the chicken breast and cool. Debone. Carefully cut meat into 2.5-cm / 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
3. Strain the broth and return to the pot.
4. Just before serving, bring the broth to a boil again. Add the papaya and cook until tender. Add the chicken. Season to taste.
5. Add dahon ng sili before serving.
This recipe can serve 4 pax. Allow 5 minutes for the preparation time and 25 minutes for cooking time.
Now, enjoy your hot bowl of soup!
recipe by RB Hipolito of Institute of Culinary Arts & Food Service (ICF - FEU) from yummy.ph